Thursday, November 08, 2007

Yes, of course Little Squirt has a proper name

What's in a name? A lot of thought!

Many who know me would not be shocked to hear that I thought long and hard and analyzed every name known to man. I even created a spreadsheet with many of my favorites over recent years. Complete with origin and meaning. In varying combinations of first name and middle name. After all, there is much to consider when naming your child. You have to consider the last name - how long it is, how many syllables, etc. Then, if you decide on a long first name, you should have a shorter middle name, but you shouldn't have 3 long names. If the first name is 3 syllables, it will flow best with a middle name with one syllable less. You have to consider their new initials to be sure it doesn't represent an acronym that would forever scar your little one due to teasing once they begin school. (note: all the above is from a baby name book) Mostly, you have to like how it sounds when you say: 'Noah, clean your room', or 'Zoe, you're grounded and don't come out of that room until you've thought about what you've done!'

There has been much inquiry around Little Squirt's name. First, let me share the name given by her first mother. Diana (pronounced dee-AH-nah) - if you need a quick audio lesson in this pronunciation, click here and scroll to Diana. For the few weeks before I traveled to meet Diana, she was known as Baby Di. During the first 12 days of our time together, we called her Dianochka. How cute is that? Then the day finally arrived and I was asked 'Jackie, what do you plan to name your baby?'

Well, I have always said, depending what her given name is and how she received her name, I would consider maintaining this name in some way. And I did.

I would like to introduce you to Nola Diana (pronounced NO-la dee-AH-nah). There you have it. My baby has a name and I love it.

So, how will you, or how did you name your child? What factors did you consider?

16 comments:

Jim said...

Much good advise in that post!

As you know, our kids were school age when they were adopted almost two years ago. We chose to keep their given names with only minor transliteration accommodations to hopefully help folks pronounce them in the "Russian" way. (Not necessarily successful...) But even if they had been infants, I would have still chosen to keep their given names in some way, either as we did or as you have done by using it as a middle name.

There is a lot to say about keeping something of our adopted children's history and origin intact, IMHO, even when some of their early lives were not necessarily happy or pleasant. They own that history and I would feel very bad to take it away from them. Not everyone feels the same way, however, and I do respect those who choose to completely rename their children for whatever reason is meaningful to them. It could be to maintain family or faith traditions or just because the original given name was hard to pronounce or adapt to our western ways. Or it could merely be because they just didn't like it!

At any rate, I was thrilled with "the squirt's" new name the minute I heard it...great choice! Unique and wonderful. Bravo!

Suzanne said...

Hi Jackie!

I love Little Squirt's names! Though I was kind of growing fond of "Little Squirt." One of my dearest friends is named Deanna (pronounced the same as Nola's middle name) and you can't be named Nola and not be beautiful and exotic. So she's got it made!

Like you, I'm waiting to meet my little one to settle on a name. And I will use her given name in some way. But I also have a few possible first or middle names brewing. They're top secret right now, but I will say that each of them, in some way, honors a dear and departed loved one.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll add a link to yours on mine, too, if that's okay with you.

Suzanne

Mala said...

I love it!!! Great name!
We went through the same thing. Beck's original name was Aibek (pronounced eye - bee- AYCK). As someone who has a name that is constantly being mispronounced, I felt for him having a name that no American would ever get correct. When we found out that his birth mother didn't name him, but in fact someone at the maternity hospital, we felt that it wasn't absolutely nessacary to keep his original name, however, he's 2 1/2 years old and we didn't want to drastically change his name... hence Beck!

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Beautiful name! Our first adoption, we used a part of my husband's name b/c our son's given name was one that would get him picked on for sure! Then for our second adoption, we kept her given name b/c we loved it. We added a middle name that was my grandmother's middle name.

yorkiemom said...

I love her name and she has such a sweet expression. Can I demand to see more pictures yet!!

Our last name begins with a G so we had to be especially careful with the intials since lots of potential teasing names end with a G.

kate said...

Perfect!

I know what I'd name a bio child. I have been collecting names for years. But, since I'll have an older child whose name I don't know, there are other considerations. I've got several in my back pocket and one I'm hoping will work...

There's a post on my blog from this summer about this:
http://from-russia.blogspot.com/2007/07/name-game-very-long.html

Michelle said...

I actually know 2 Nola's....which I suppose isn't too surprising since I lived in New Orlean's (NOLA) for 10 years. I love it. It is really true that names and labels for that matter can be so important. I actually had a hard time switching to Z from his birth name because he totally looks like a radiant little Almaz. Now he is a Z to me!

Tasha Kent said...

What a cute name!!

Gen 's Family Story said...

I love it. Beautiful name for a beautiful girl who has a beautiful MOM. If you don't mind I'll copy your idea and post why we named our son what we did:)
Nola Diana, you are almost home:)
I love that picture of her!!! I can't wait to see the 2 of you together!!!

Hilary Marquis said...

LOVE IT! Very unique and lovely, she won't have to share her name with ten other kids in her class. I always considered my childrens' names a success when I couldn't find it in the top ten list in the baby books or on the personalized barretts, mugs, and ornaments in the stores :) We also kept our daughter's name, which is Anara. We already have an Amelia so we wanted another "A" name. When we got the info on her, her name was just another little sign that she was supposed to be ours. We did give her a new middle name of Faith. My favorite Bible verse is Hebrews 11:1 " Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." As those of you who have been on the international adoption journey know it takes a great deal of faith to bring your child home. We always want Anara to know that it was God and faith in Him that brought her home.

Monica said...

Beautiful name for such a lucky girl! Congrats to Nola and her mom!
:)

I love interesting names.
Our youngest child is named Niall which is a name I happened upon at the last moment. It's pronounced to rhyme with Kyle.

Each of my children has a 1st initial unique to them. It helps in labelling Xmas gifts!

Anonymous said...

Jackie I love her name! I knew you'd come up with something unique and wonderful. I'm glad too that you kept Diana. I recently found out what my given name was from my birthmother and just cannot relate to it. At the time of my adoption my AP's had no idea I had even been given a name. Congrats and I'm counting down with you!!!
Love, Sue

Johnda said...

You daughter is beautiful. We having been in the process of adopting from Guatemala but with all the problems they are having we are considering Kyrgyzstan..
If you or anyone has information good or bad, we would love to hear from you.

Julie and John Wright said...

Hi Jackie

I Often think about your beautifull daughter. IT is nice to have a name now.
It was amazing to me how beautifull she is and especialy how alert she is. It was so nice to meat you Mom . I was sorry to miss you. Maybee one day our paths will cross again.
I will be waiting patiently for the gotcha date.
blessings John

Kelli said...

Just found your blog- I am currrently researching other countries to adopt from. Nola is beautiful!

Mala said...

Are you packed and ready to go????? Have a safe and speedy journey!