As of today, Nola has been with me for 112 days, and home in South FL for 103 days. Wow! Time flies. Here's the nitty gritty-
- At 6 mos of age, when we first came home and saw the pediatrician, Little Squirt was the size of a 2 month old, and developmentally 4-5 mos with some 6 mos milestones under her belt. Not so bad, I thought, considering her beginnings. I knew she was small and wasn't hitting the charts, but my job was clear...give this baby proper nutrition, lots of love and tender care and she will thrive.
- Today she is just over 9.5 months old. Her corrected age is close to 7 mos of age. At her 9 month appt. (about 2 weeks ago) she checked in at 12lbs 12oz and 24 3/4 inches tall. She is still a tiny ball of fiestiness, but very strong.
- We started spoon feeding on Jan. 17th. So far she loves carrots, peas, sweet potatos, mashed potatos, applesauce, pears, bananas, mixed fruit with yogurt, oatmeal and rice cereals. We started meats about 2 weeks ago. This is a bit more challenging...seems she prefers foods mixed together. All in all, though, she loves eating from a spoon.
- She has been sitting up unassisted since mid Jan.; age 7.5 mos
- She jumped SOLO in her jumper on Jan. 22nd. This took a while. She was a bit too small and not heavy enough for the jumper at first, but now she smiles and has a good time jumping. (we only stay in the jumper station less than 10 minutes, don't worry ;)
- Since she first entered my life, she has always wanted to be upright and stand. She is walking (assisted) and it is unbelievable how she wants to walk and walk. I wonder where she wants to go??
- No crawling yet, but she is getting into position. She scoots backwards, but hasn't caught on to moving forward yet.
- She has turned professional with rolling over. Today she comfortably rolls both ways.
- No teeth yet, but we're working on them.
- On March 11th she started squealing. She thinks this is the funniest thing. I guess discovering your vocal chords is pretty fabulous.
- On a few occassions, over the past 2 mos, I swear I heard her say; 'ok' and 'hi'. I know, I might be hearing things ;)
- She loves to play 'dropsy'...dropping items on the floor just so she can pick them up, or have mommy pick them up. She does it in such a fashion, as if she thinks you aren't looking, but you are looking her in the eye and there it falls to the floor.
- Nola's pediatrician is wonderful. She is treating Nola like any premature baby born in FL and has screened her quite similarly to any IA group elsewhere. We don't have an IA group here in FL, but her Dr. is an adoptive mom herself and has several patients from China and Russia. She is quite familiar with issues and concerns with children coming from an institutionalized environment.
- We have had many Dr. appointments, lab work and tests and I am so pleased to report that Nola is quite healthy. We are repeating some lab work this week to check her CO2 level, but other than that, so far, she is doing well.
- Because of her prematurity and because I am a first time mom, and a worrier, I did have Nola evaluated for Early Intervention (EI) Services at the Children's Diagnostic & Treatment Center (CDTC). Here in South FL the program is called 'Early Steps'. We had the evaluation on Jan. 29th & Feb. 4th and she was assessed at her chornological age (8 mos) and corrected age (5-5.5 mos) and she did not qualify for services. I was, and am, pleased. If she is delayed in meeting the next expected milestones, I will not hesitate to take her for another assessment.
- More on the EI program mentioned above...I highly recommend this program if you are bringing home an infant and have any feelings of delay whatsoever. It's really wonderful that these services are offered and we must take advantage of the help that is available. As I understand, every state offers such a program and there is no shame in seeking help, if necessary :) I'm glad I did and thank my IA Dr. for suggesting this to me and Noli's pediatrician for fully supporting me and my worries.
- We started Gymboree on Jan 16th. After staying 'quiet' and away from much stimulation for 6 weeks, I thought it was time to get out and try something new. The first 3 sessions weren't much fun for either of us, but finally, the 4th week was a turning point and she just loves it! I've met some wonderful moms there, too. It's been a great for both of us.
- On March 3rd I returned to work. Being home for 3 mos was wonderful. But I was ready (mentally) to return to work. Three mos with no pay check was tough, but spending time bonding with my daughter was truly worth every moment and every missed cent. I realize not everyone can take this kind of time off, but if you can, please do. Nola is being cared for by her Oma (my mom) during the day. While we are all still adjusting, things seem to be going really well. My aunt is also a HUGE support and spends a lot of time helping mom entertain Noli.
In exactly 1 week from today, Nola will be 10 months old. It's hard to believe that she has been in my life since mid August when I first received a referral of a then 2 mos, 3 week old infant named Diana - quickly referred to as 'Baby Di'. I first met Baby Di at age 3.5 mos and am so thankful to have had the opportunity to spend time with her while she was so young. I consider myself to be so lucky and immensely blessed with such a precious and delicate flower. Her smile lights up the room and her giggles make me laugh over and over.
And now for a picture or two...


16 comments:
Thanks for the update...so many folks will have likely been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to know the latest about the Divine Miss N!!
Nola really grows on you. I've enjoyed playing with her so much during my brief visits and actually miss her every day because of it! Lucky mommy you are!!!
J
Thank you for the update..that just gives a little insight of what Josie may do..
She is just a doll!!
Johnda
She's so beautiful!
You sound like you are both doing GREAT! Thx for sharing her with us!!!
:)
She just gets prettier all the time! I was wondering when we'd get an update. She keeps you pretty busy, huh? Wait till she is mobile, you'll never have a moment to sit down again *hahaha*
Wow Jackie, What a wonderful post! She is such a wonderful girl, and you are a great Mommy! I love Noli Cannoli...that is sooo cute!
I just cannot get over how gorgeous she is! Thank you so much for this post...it really helps me put things in perspective with Scarlett. I know she will be delayed for a little while, but never having a baby before (Alex was 18 months when he came home), I'm not really sure when things are supposed to happen anyway! Hope all went well going back to work. You are a great mom!
It gives those of us waiting such happiness to hear an update on little Nola. She is beautiful and it sounds like she's doing fantastic!
I loved this update! I love reading all about her journey, it's facinating. Nola is making such wonderful progress and she is just so adorable :)
You have to tell me more about Gymboree, too. Sounds like fun!
Wow, it sounds like she is doing wonderfully! I agree with whoever said she just gets cuter and cuter!
She looks wonderful!! What a cutie girl and progressing so nicely. You must just be such an ecstatic mommy.
What a cutie! She looks so healthy and happy! Thanks for the update! God bless!
Nola has so many new tricks! It sounds like she's positively thriving. And she's just as cute as a bug's ear. Cuter even. I so look forward to the updates.
-Suzanne
She's doing great! Love the pic on the blanket. What a doll baby!
Whoo hoo!!! You are a FANTASTIC mommy!!! You are both sooo fortunate to have found each other across the miles, miraculous isn't it? I look at little Phoebe and think of Nola and how they are basically the same size!! I hope we get to see you again soon!!
Your post is awesome, Jackie. The developmental milestones that Nola is reaching is incredibly encouraging. And, she just keeps getting cuter and cuter each day!
I'm glad you posted about early intervention services. Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires all States to provide services to children birth through two years old...Part Ba of the Act addresses 3-21 year olds. Basically, IDEA requires all States and territories to provide support to children with disabilities. For children 0-2, most services involve addresses developmental issues.
In case you're wondering how come I know this stuff, IDEA is one pf my areas of practice at the U.S. Department of Education. Part B is my primary focus, but I know alot about Part C. Let me know if you need any additional help or resources...I'm happy to assist.
Pamela
How fabulous!!
Post a Comment