Day 2 (yesterday) was a completely different story. OH MY WORD. It was a horrible experience for both of us, but mostly for Nola, really. Yes, really. She did all she could to pull me, my arms, my hands, my fingers, out of that room. She clearly did not want to be there. At one point the teacher came and got her and walked a few steps towards the other side of the room. Noli had me in her sight the entire time and she just cried and cried. She was put down and could come to me, but chose to stay where she was while continuing to cry. I really tried hard to do my part and not say much. At that point, the teacher brought her over for me to comfort her. Well, she wasn't much in the mood for comforting.
Then we went for a walk out in the hallway where she continued to cry and look for the exit door to get out of that place. We walked for a bit, but kept checking back because we were gonna head back in for circle time and bubbles. Noli loves bubbles. So, time to go back in and we walk to the circle rug and sit down. There are only two moms in the circle (other moms were able to leave their children). The other little boy was a bit upset, but not nearly as much as Nola. So, we did a monkey finger play song with little monkeys. Nola grabbed the monkey and threw it down -- apparently still upset - ya, she was still crying for the most part.
Next, it was time to wash hands and have a snack. Well, that brought a smile. Afterall, we love clean hands ... and water :) So, we wait in line and in the meantime two little kiddos jump in front of Nola. Not a big deal really, but at this point every second counts since she could start screaming at any moment and to wait any longer for something that she likes (hand washing) is not a good idea. By the time we got to the sink, she had another meltdown. We headed to the table to sit down with the snack. She didn't want any part of it and wouldn't sit at the table.
Finally ... time for bubbles. Thank goodness. She saw the bubbles and decided she should head to the cirlcle to pop some bubbles. She took my hand and walked me over. Her smiles finally started to come out and she began to calm down enough to enjoy those last 3-5 min.
I just don't get it, though. She was happy and smiling on the way to school, even holding her backpack in the car. I felt so bad for her. I kept worrying that she might become traumatized. Finally, one of the other mom's came up to me to tell me her daughter was much worse -- not sure how that could be possible, but ok. Anyway, the teacher told me to plan on staying and/or hanging around on Monday. Really?? You think?? Ya, of course I plan to stay as long as she needs. This coming Monday is the real first full day from 9-12. Cross your fingers for us :)
Getting Ready - Day 1





here she is in front of her classroom door

Getting Ready - Day 2



don't I look cute?

9 comments:
Oh, I am so sorry!! You are such a good Mommy to stay with her. Kids do this sort of thing, it will get better! Alex used to cry and cry, cling to my leg...then quit 5 min after I left (usually sooner than that once school was in full swing). That was when he started at age two. Now he is BEYOND thrilled to go! But, I'll send a few prayers your way just to be safe!
PS- I can't believe how long her hair is! She looks so cute with her little backpack. Scarlett is really excited about hers too.
Sooo cute! In like no time she will be telling you to drop her off a block away so you won't embarrass her.
What a little darling in her school outfits! Two years old is a difficult age for separation at preschool. We've had a much better time with our son at three years old. Both you and Noli look great!
Never having been to "pre-school", this is a new concept for me, but she looks absolutely darling in her cute school outfits. I hope that the rest of the transition goes well...the socialization from a few hours at school will be good for her. Maybe once you're out of view, things will go better when she latches on to a friend or three.
J
She has to be the cutest preschooler ever!! Love the pigtails. I am sorry that it is so hard on Noli (and you); hoping it gets better very soon!
poor little girl and poor mommy!! you must have been crying on the inside, and so impressed with your ability to hold it together and be strong for her, to help her get thru to the point of bubbles... i will be thinking of you all tomorrow and hoping she does a bit better.... at least you know she'll be the cutest on in school! keep up being such a great mommy -- she is so loved by you..
That stinks. Poor Noli, poor YOU!
But don't worry, she's not being traumatized... you are, probably, but she'll settle in and Michelle is right, you'll be embarrassing her in no time by asking for a goodbye kiss or something equally horrifying.
Hang in there!
Oh she looks so big! Her hair is so long and pretty, and I just can't believe she is going to school. Noli is brave but you are MAJORLY brave, since I suspect MIlana would/will react in a similar fashion when the time comes, and I am not strong when she starts crying!
Take care, I hope Monday is better!
What a hard couple of days! I bet you were ready for nap time by the time you left! I hope it's gotten much better!
Post a Comment